Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Today I thought a lot about what it means to be trapped. To live on the border is to be trapped in a space of constant uncertainty, utter absurdity, and reaction as opposed to proaction. Yesterday we passed through a border control checkpoint and smiled for the cameras. Today we went through the checkpoint, in our 15 passenger van, and the border control agent simply asked us if we were all citizens and we were able to easily breeze through.

Many people living on the border have no such luck. They are trapped within a system that is unjust, and that in turn traps them physically. We met two people who are unable to leave Eagle Pass because they wouldn’t be able to pass the checkpoint. I was reminded of the 13 year old in the documentary “Which Way Home” that we watched. He felt trapped within the walls of the youth shelter he was placed in after he was detained. I thought of all of the migrants who turn themselves in and are detained for several days in freezing cold conditions.

Undocumented Christ at Our Lady of Refuge, Eagle Pass
One of the most common questions that I have encountered in working with immigration is, “why are people migrating?” If it is really so bad to come here and be detained, to live your life in fear of being caught, why do people bother? There are plenty of reasons, ranging from the individual terror of domestic violence to the large scale domination of Central American countries by gangs. I certainly would feel trapped if that were my experience. But I would do everything I could to become free. People who come here have tremendous faith that eventually it will work. That we have space for them to not feel trapped. I pray that one day we do find space for everyone.

Emma Randles

No comments:

Post a Comment