Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I write this as we are driving from McAllen to our lodging in San Benito. It has been a long day, but my thoughts have constantly and consistently been pulled back to our visit to Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church first thing this morning in Eagle Pass. 

The picture I’ve posted with this entry is of a crucifix known as the “Undocumented Christ.” It was pulled from the Rio Grande River (origins unknown) and now resides in the chapel of Our Lady of Refuge. I am struck (painfully so) by the thought that this beautiful work was adrift in the water-along the border waters that separate two countries. It speaks powerfully to me that while there may be a border between nations, there are no borders that confine the Kindom of God. 
Undocumented Christ at Our Lady of Refuge, Eagle Pass
Yesterday, when we visited the Rio Grande and looked across the river into Mexico, there was a group of people on the other side. One was fishing but the others seemed to be there with him just for company. We waved at them, but they did not wave back. It was sad to me that we could not connect. 

Spending just a few moments praying in front of the “Undocumented Christ” brought that sadness back to me. We are all children of God and we belong to each other – we need each other – our stories are inescapably intertwined whether we are comfortable with that or not. 

Tonight we began to prepare our hearts to better serve the people and families we will meet tomorrow at the Sacred Heart Relief Center. I will carry the image of the “Undocumented Christ” in my spirit. I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if Egypt had closed its borders to Jesus, Mary, and Joseph fleeing Herod? This is not a place for politics, this is a place for the Church, the Kindom of God, to bring the peace Christ.

Michelle Vernone

No comments:

Post a Comment